Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Girls Gymnastics Weekend

 So someday I'm going to get better at taking these podium pictures! But for now this is the best one I've got to share. Marina did very well for her opening meet. Especially as she had not been in a gym training since last November. We stopped having her go through all the craziness last holiday season, with the move and all. She placed 4th in all around and qualified for the Regional Meet in July.

When we arrived in Grand Junction, I began looking for a gymnastics program. However, to no avail, I could not find a CARA (recreational program). We thought a lot about her participating at the club level, but just didn't feel as though that was the right place for Marina. So, we waited hoping she would be interested in trying some other sport.

Towards the end of the school year, her elementary school offered some different classes for enrichment during the school day. One of the things Marina was eager to try out, was Parkour or Urban gymnastics. When she participated, she had a ton of fun, and brought home a flyer. So, I called to ask some questions. I discovered that they had a team participating in CARA gymnastics. I was so excited, I was giddy! I couldn't wait for Marina to get home from school to tell her. We took her in to check out the gym and program the following Monday, and without a pause when asked if she wanted to do gymnastics, or Parkour, or Silk Skills, she answered, "gymnastics." We lucked out, the season was just beginning, and we joined, just in time to be on team and compete this season. Blessings come in the craziest ways sometimes.

The first meet was before school was out. So, to help with traveling expenses and time, Marina and I traveled to Denver for the meet by ourselves. The recreation center where she was competing is very close to my sister's house, so we got to hang out with Marisa and her kids too. Both Grandma's were able to be there also. It was a fun short getaway without boys. We never have that kind of time alone together.
Gotta love Leilani getting ready for the picture...hehehe. It was a little breezy, so she is trying to get her hair out of her face. That girl does the funniest things. When we went to dinner later, although Leilani is only 11, the waitress brought her an adult menu and drink. Poor Isaac and Lilli still have to request the adult menu's.
 Lafai and Lani help Marina show off her handful of ribbons!
 We truly had a good time together, just Mother and daughter. We got to share the same bedroom at G'ma Chris' and Papa Joe's.
 Marina sure loves her Auntie Risa!
Her grandma's are very proud of her!
Marina sure likes her new black and gold leotard with rhinestones too!


No comments: