Saturday, August 4, 2012

Playful Puppy...and Boy?

 Here is Alice's new perch. It's a good thing that the lounger is long, and gives her lots of room to grow. She might still fit it when she's full grown. Unlike most other places she tries to go, like behind the edge of the coach or under the benches, tables, or beds. Eventually she will have to give up all the other hiding/lounging spots, but maybe not this one.

 Here's the proof. She uses the doggy door. Which has been wonderful for potty training. I've never had a dog use the doggy door before. The only problem is this 1ft x 2ft opening is not going to last forever. I am not sure how this is going to all work out in the winter and as she gets bigger, but she loves being able to go in and out now.
 Another new one for us, Alice plays in the water bowl. Both front paws in. She looks like she is practicing her fishing skills. We will have to see how she fairs out at the lake or the rivers.














Isaac and Marina staging a nice sword fight. It's actually Isaac who still loves to play "imaginary world." He'll probably be mad at me for putting this out to the world, but I have to capture the moments of true youth he still shows. I know that it  won't be long before all that childlike behavior disappears. He has begun to show many signs of adolescence. Danny thinks it's great to see the changes. I have mixed feelings. Especially, when I get the rolling of the eyes and the "Oh Mom" comments and mumbles under the breath. I could live without that. But he has physically grown quite a bit this summer, and looks forward to passing me up. Even his face is changing so quickly, my little fat BOY with round cheeks is fading. But I do see the potential of a handsome and kind young man emerging.
I want to record that he just went on his first week long scout camp at the end of July. Gone from Mom and Dad for 1 whole week. I knew it would be good for him, and I just practiced a lot of faith and tried not to worry or think about what he was doing while he was gone. Of course, he still shared it all with me, upon his return...all the details about shooting guns, rock climbing, hiking a fourteener, fishing, gutting fish, cooking it....and missing his family by Thursday. Yes, I hated the gun part, but got some satisfaction in knowing that he still missed us a little. He came home in one piece, covered in dirt (he did look like a little brown boy that day), talking a lot more "older boy" like, and a few scratches. So I guess, all was well. He had a good time, and a good experience. And, we had the word "freakin'" back out of his vocabulary by dinner.
So, that's why I have to record that he still does play sometimes. He spends most of his time reading, listening to books on tape, and when he can, plays video games, and when forced, or coerced will play with his siblings, but when he needs to get out and expend some energy he's a lot like the puppy. Running around the backyard sword fighting and acting out scenes from his books (hence the term "imaginary world"). So cheers to their still being a playful boy inside that growing adolescent body.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that Isaac has his imaginary world, because Dan is the same way! Sounds like he had a lot of fun at camp.