This beautiful black Dane is 8 weeks old. She joined our family on Thursday, July 19, 2012. We thought about waiting for a while before adding a new dog, especially a puppy. However, the thought of waiting until Christmas when we would also have a month old baby, did not seem so grand of an idea. This way Alice has a few weeks at home with me and the kids before we head back to school, to begin training of course, and then she has a couple months to adjust before new baby Oslin arrives. She truly was the most well mannered puppy of the litter, which we found through the internet just 10 minutes down the road in Aurora. Hard to believe, I know, but we prayed about finding the right dog that would fit our crazy lives....it was meant to be.
Another Dane? Yes. When we pondered all our options, there was no doubt that the inside, patient, mellow, family loving Dane, was the best breed for us and the kids!
And why Alice? Well, Alice would have been our new baby's middle name, had it been a girl. (A 3rd boy; did this impact our decision to get a girl puppy?...yeah maybe a little.) It is also a family/friend name, as well as my favorite book character from Twilight. So, when we settled on the black puppy, Danny suggested she might fit the name. Although, Alice Cullen is quite a small vampire, she is smart, funny, and very mysterious. All this little girl needed was a little bling-bling. So with her new rhinestone collar, she took to her new name just fabulously. I thought she needed a little scarf and sunglasses too, but I guess that's a little over the top.
Crazy that they still start out so small. It's hard to imagine her peaking around 150-200 lbs. Especially when they love to crawl under things. She spent the first night sleeping under our bed. I remember Gandalf finally getting stuck under the bed and Danny having to lift it while I pulled him out. It seems as though we are on the same path. She loves to tuck her head under anything she can.
Alice has been adjusting well for the first week. Does fabulous in the car, and really is careful with the kids even when she gets excited and rowdy. Now that I found my packed video camera, and charger, I'll try to capture some of the funny moments. You know puppies, there are many funny things they do. I have to say though that it feels like I have two, 2 year olds. They both need the same constant positive, but firm directions...all day long.
She seems to really be bonding with me, not sure how the whole pregnancy thing works into that, but she loves to lay on my tummy. I've wondered if she could hear the heartbeat??? And when she wakes up early in the morning and I am trying to get her to wait a little longer before eating, she just wants to crawl up in bed with me, and then she'll sleep a little longer. I told Danny we were going to need a much larger bed. Do they make one big enough for a Dane, 2 adults, and a new baby?
No comments:
Post a Comment