Monday, August 23, 2010

1st Day of School 2010

Well it's official! I have a 5th grader, a second grader, and a baby at home. It sure feels weird this morning to be at home with the baby, while my big kids are at school. I've never really experienced this before. I was really feeling left out over the weekend as I tried to accept this new reality. In the past, Danny takes the kids to school on the first day, because I have my "teacher hat" on, and can't do it. But today, for the first time, I took my kids to school like all the other parents in the world. I couldn't believe that even getting there early, how busy it was. We had to park @ 2 blocks away and walk. The walk was nice, but it was sure funny to be walking to school with the kids in my class and their parents. Even some of my fellow colleagues, commented "You're just like everyone else" as I passed through the crosswalk. It probably doesn't seem strange to you all, but it was a first for me.Both kids were exceptionally more independent than in the past, a reminder of how fast they grow up. Isaac walked a block ahead of us, and did not wait for us before he joined his old friends in line. Marina still wanted me to walk her to her class line up, but insisted on carrying that obnoxiously heavy backpack on her own. She was quiet and apprehensive, but I think surprised herself at how at ease she was on the back playground when she saw familiar friends and teacher faces. I kissed her good-bye from outside and told her I'd see her after school. She was ready to go. I was fine then, but I am almost teary as I write this. I remember how scared and how much she cried the first weeks of school in kindergarten. They really do grow up.To ease some of my anxiety I stopped in to my classroom, and introduced myself to my new kiddos. Many of them I know, due to them being in Isaac's grade, especially Isaac's good friend. It feels a little strange to have them in my room this year, but I am kind of excited about teaching them, and building a new/different relationship with them. There are new faces too, and that's always fun to get to know the new ones. They seem so young and innocent. I always forget how much they change this 5th grade year. Oh but I do love this age. They are sweeties in the beginning, and turn out to be such stinkers by the end, but I actually enjoy that. I know that's kind of weird, but that's why it's such as great fit for me. I love watching them struggle to become their own person. I love that they can laugh at my jokes, and tell me stories that make me laugh and cry. They are real little people. They come with all the good and the bad. It just doesn't get much better than that. I even spotted the "major stinker" already. Those often end up being my favorites. I am ready to be there Wednesday.In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the life of a stay at home parent with my new baby. He will have to adjust to the kids being gone too. They tend to be his entertainment. What an amazing blessing it is to have this time with Esaias. I know that the Lord made this completely possible for me, and even though the unknown is scary..."this too shall pass." I will be in the routine sooner than I can imagine.

Here's to being a "real parent" and my first day of school! :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Loved reading this! New experiences are what keep us on our toes and help us appreciate new things, and be grateful for what we have and for what we've experienced. Your kids really are growing up. I hope they love 2nd and 5th grade! Enjoy your time with sweet, beautiful Esaias, and good luck on your first day of school. Oh, and I LOVE Marina's backpack - super cute.