Devante got to have lunch with us and celebrate their big Continuation Day!
Thursday, August 11, 2011
An End and A Beginning!
Isaac's elementary life has officially come to an end. Yes, this is a very melancholy moment for me. I will never forget that when I got my first teaching job, he was so excited saying, "My mom has a job and I have a school." And it was just like that. He and I started our adventure at Arrowhead Elementary together. And now his role in that journey has come to an end. He is thrilled! He shared with his class on the last day of school (where one of my closest friends is his teacher) that he was looking forward to being a "normal" kid next year. "No Mom to watch him like a hawk." I know that he is ready. Ready to go on without me. At the beginning of 5th grade, all I could think was what a wonderful boy he was. I could spy on him through the classroom windows, and feel so proud, and think how cute and smart he is. Well, by the end of the year, I was ready to send him on his way with the rest of the 5th graders.
Isaac & his best friend Devante
Devante got to have lunch with us and celebrate their big Continuation Day!

Isaac the big reader, won the AR trophy for reading the most books (439 AR points) in all his class, the entire 5th grade for that matter!
But now, having had 10 weeks of summer to think it over...I think I would rather bring him back to elementary with me. He has professed loudly all summer his enthusiasm for his new journey into middle school. It was just yesterday when I heard a little quiver of insecurity when we passed by his school, and he said, "I'm a little nervous." I know he will make friends. I know he is smart. I know he is confident and will succeed. I know he has to do this to become all that he can. But I think it's the knowing he's bound to make mistakes that scares me. Giving our kids room to error is necessary, but challenging. He is becoming a young man, but I still see a round little face with fat cheeks, with big brown eyes gleaming with eagerness to see and know everything, I hear a little lisp in my mind as he shouts with excitement, "I want to go, I want to go!" At least I will always know that while he proudly exclaimed his enthusiasm to break away from me, that same night, this 11 year old boy climbed on my lap, gave me a hug, and said, "Wow Mom, I'm a sixth grader now." And I said, "Yep, one who still needs his mom to give him a hug!"
Devante got to have lunch with us and celebrate their big Continuation Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Made me cry...
Vycci, you have such a beautiful family! So glad to see you all are doing well!
Post a Comment