
As part of my daily commute into work downtown I have the privileged of reading close to an hour a day. I recently finished reading the book Tunnels. For those of you who love young adult fiction you might be interested in this book. The story surrounds a young boy named Will who comes from a very eccentric family. Will has a father who is the curator at an antiques museum in London and is obsessed with digging to find underground remains of buildings, houses and older parts of the city. Will just enjoys digging the Tunnels, his joy comes in the process not in the completion. After being introduced to Will's television addicted mother, his perfectionist sister and good friend Chester; Will's father goes missing. That is truly where the story begins and Will takes you into the deep places of the world that we "topsoilers" have forgotten. While some of the characters in the book are a bit surreal I found that I really was drawn into the theme of discovering one's true identity and definition of self. I would not rate this book on the level of fantasy fiction because it is probably more sciene fiction in nature. Compared to stories such as "A Wrinkle in Time" and "The Giver" I would say that "Tunnels" matches up nicely to the genre. Supposedly there is a sequel to the book coming out this spring and a third book should be released soon as well. For more information you can go to the website at:
http://www.tunnelsthebook.com/
3 comments:
Awesome! I am excited to read it :) I've been looking for a new book to read.
It looks like the sequel, Deeper, came out in May 2008. I'm trying to see if the library will buy it for their collection :)
Hey Vycci,
Got your message on my blog, we'd love to do dinner! Brian can't commit to a day in early March b/c of state basketball (doesn't know if and when he'll need to cover it yet), so I'll call ya when he has a better idea and we'll get something scheduled. Miss you guys!
Melissa
Post a Comment